In 1938, spirits were high in Chicago. The Cubs were in the World Series, the Depression was ending and new businesses were starting up. On the city’s west side, Joseph Valenti, Sr. bought a residential lot on Roscoe Street, built a home and sold it for $7,170 – a profit of $270. The Cubs lost the Series, but Valenti Builders had begun a proud record of growth and achievement.
In the early 1940’s, Valenti’s business expanded rapidly, constructing homes and apartment buildings to house an influx of new factory workers as local industry geared up for the war effort. In the boom years following the war, our firm’s client base broadened to include a scrap metal plant, a warehouse, an apartment building and other commercial projects. Joe Valenti outgrew his original corporate headquarters – a corner of his parents’ home in Portage Park – and constructed new offices on North Elston Avenue.
Through the 1950’s, the postwar housing shortage created strong demand. Valenti built hundreds of homes in the city and suburbs, including an upscale development in Deerfield that would eventually house 500 families. Our company continued its expansion into non residential markets with an office building, a major recreation center, and an apartment complex. In just two decades, Valenti Builders had become a leading Chicagoland contractor. Our success was founded on a reputation for quality, integrity and commitment to our customers’ goals.
By 1960, architects, owners, and developers had begun to rely on us and our capabilities. We were retained to construct facilities throughout a six county area – churches, distribution facilities, and other projects that included a headquarters building for the Social Security Administration and an office facility for Peoples Gas and Light.
During the 1970’s, Valenti constructed major projects for the Chicago Tribune, Loyola Academy, the Archdiocese of Chicago, Uptown Federal, Lane Industries, Brunswick, General Cinema and many others. Award winning residential developments constructed by Valenti in Northbrook and Lincolnshire are still considered a quality paradigm in the housing industry. Joe Valenti Jr. and Jim Valenti joined the firm in 1972 and 1979, respectively.
The 1980’s began with a move to our current Northfield facility where our office and warehouse is located. Our firm had rapidly outgrown our two previous locations and business continued to expand. We constructed over one million square feet of office space for clients including Hamilton Partners, LaSalle Partners, North Suburban Development, Armstrong Medical and Trammel Crow. During this expansive decade, our company also built shopping centers, hotels, manufacturing and warehouse facilities, recreational centers and corporate headquarters.
The early 1990’s were challenging times in real estate and construction, but Valenti continued to prosper, with new institutional, healthcare, financial and retail projects. Major projects were constructed for Holy Name Cathedral, the Village of Lincolnshire, Abbott Laboratories, Evanston Hospital, Baxter Healthcare, Citibank and LaSalle Bank Group; shopping centers were built or renovated in Schaumburg, Deerfield and Downers Grove; new office facilities were built for Loomcraft Textiles, General Binding Company and others.
Valenti Builders’ reputation, financial strength and professional resources have positioned our company for continued growth through the decades of the 2000’s. And with all of our company’s past success and future promise, we still take our greatest pride in the satisfaction of our customers. We appreciate the continued opportunities we are given to build a wide variety of projects throughout the Chicagoland area. We are proud of what we have achieved in years past but are prouder still of what we will accomplish in the future.